Recently, I spent a Saturday exploring the Inner Harbor of Baltimore and had the opportunity to visit Port Discovery. According to my children, Port Discovery one of their top favorite places to visit. From the three story jungle gym to the educational hands-on activities, this is an awesome place for children to burn off some energy. Check out how we spent our day there!
Our Day At Port Discovery
Our first stop was the gigantic kitchen, which my children adore. You can find many different jobs that children can pretend to be. This large space is set up like a diner, complete with booths, a kitchen, a cash register, and a pay phone (that my daughter used for listening to the take out orders).
Since the diner is set up with such realistic details (even a stove top that lights up), my children had a wonderful time playing here! This area was not busy and the other children playing were kind.
One of the most exciting parts about visiting Port Discovery is the three story jungle gym. If you’re going with small children, pay attention to the ages on the signs. After a few turns, the tunnels get so small that adults can barely fit through, so you can’t really plan on going through with your younger child. To go through the tunnels, you can start on the first floor and you end up on the third floor. Additional tunnels start at different locations and end in various places around the building. Adults can wait on the other end.
You can find many opportunities for physical activities. From a climbing wall to a large indoor soccer space, this is the ideal place to go when it’s winter and you can’t play outside.
Port Discovery does a good job of integrating the arts too! My children enjoying using sprayers to hit a target across the wall. Since the targets (drum cymbals and wind chimes) made musical sounds, this was a fun learning experience.
Even in the winter, the water room was a comfortable place to play, and it had a heater to help you dry off. In addition to the sprayers, the room had activities to learn about buoyancy and other scientific ideas.
To end the day, we found the perfect photo opportunity for my little Orioles fans! They had such an exciting time and can’t wait to return again soon.
Check out some of the upcoming events happening at Port Discovery during the month of February!
Healthy First Saturday | Saturday, February 3| 10 AM – 5 PM
Keep your New Year resolutions going strong! Join us for Healthy First Saturday and find ways to get active as a family! Take part in and enjoy programs that encourage children to get active, make healthy choices, and understand how our bodies work! Get Kinderfit! with the Kindersinger, stretch and learn new poses as a family during Life on Yoga Mountain and watch your little ones express themselves during our interactive theater workshop, Play Within a Play! Also, not to miss: a family jam session with Faza Fam Family Jam, and a meet and greet with the important therapy dogs from FIDOS for Freedom. Plus, take part in simple art and science projects that are fun, educational and that you can take home!
Super Sundays | Sunday, February 4, 11, 18, 25 | 12 – 5 PM
Make it a true Sunday FUN-day when you spend the whole day learning through play! Explore movement and music together as you bop along to our lively Jingle Jangle Music Time. Join in interactive story times, and work together to create art or science projects that you can take home. Be sure to make music with us in the Percussion Garden, explore early literacy learning during Mother Goose on the Loose, and check out Kamishibai Story Time!
Be My Valentine Week | Daily – Saturday, February 10th through Friday, February 16th
Celebrate Valentine’s Day with your loves! Join us for special Valentine’s activities while you celebrate this special day with the ones you love the most.
- On Saturday, February 10th, enjoy dancing and singing with the Kindersinger: Be My Valentine program. Join in our interactive theater workshop, Play within a Play, which shines a spotlight on your little one’s creativity. Join in Family Yoga during Magical Mats, take part in interactive story time sessions, and introduce children to early literacy skills through Mother Goose on the Loose®. Also enjoy face painting and interactive art and science projects throughout the day – including special Valentine’s themed projects your littles can take home!
- On Sunday, February 11th, join us for another day of play, learning, and fun with your Valentines! Make Valentine’s-themed art projects that your littles can take home, make music to match your heart beat in our Percussion Garden, and explore music and movement in Jingle Jangle Music Time. Also enjoy Kamishibai Story Time and early literacy learning during Mother Goose on the Loose!
- Tuesday, February 13 through Friday, February 16, join us for drop-in programs including a studio art project where children can make take-home Valentines, interactive circle times, and more! Wrap up the week with a family and budget-friendly date night during Target $2 Family Fun Night from 4-8PM on Friday, February 16th!
Target $2 Family Fun Night | Friday, February 16 | 4-8PM
Admission $2 for individuals two and up. Members and children under two enter free.
Celebrate Valentine’s Day with those you love by enjoying a night of exploration, play, and learning for just $2 per person from 4PM-8PM! Join in Circle Time, take part in our Create and Read program, and learn about animals with the Maryland SPCA. Don’t miss this great chance to check out Nickelodeon’s Dora & Diego – Let’s Explore! exhibit before it leaves for good on February 19th.
President’s Day Weekend & Closing Weekend for Nickelodeon’s Dora & Diego – Let’s Explore!
Saturday, February 17 | 10AM – 5PM | Sunday, February 18 | 12PM – 5PM | Monday, February 19 | 9:30AM – 4:30PM
Enjoy this three-day weekend with plenty of hands-on fun, play and learning!
- Join us for Little Explorer’s Day: Space on Saturday and enjoy Blast Off Circle Time and interactive art and science projects.
- On Sunday, explore movement and music together as you bop along to our lively Jingle Jangle Music Time. Join in interactive story times, and work together to create art or science projects that you can take home. You can also make music in our Percussion Garden, learn early literacy skills in Mother Goose on the Loose, and enjoy Kamishibai Story Time!
- On Monday, join us for a day of play including a dance party with DJ Holly, plus make music together in our Percussion Garden, take part in interactive Circle Time, explore movement and music in Jingle Jangle Music Time, and make patriotic hoop gliders to commemorate the day. Also be sure to visit Nickelodeon’s Dora & Diego – Let’s Explore! exhibit before it closes for good! Monday, February 19th will be your last chance to explore this imaginative exhibit.
Chinese New Year: Year of the Dog | Saturday, February 24 | 10AM – 5PM
Celebrate the Year of the Dog as Port Discovery celebrates the Chinese New Year! Visitors of all backgrounds will learn, experience, and participate in traditions surrounding the Chinese New Year celebration. You’ll be mesmerized by the Chinese Lion Dancers of Tai Yim Kung Fu School, who perform the lion dance throughout the center of the Museum using a paper mache lion, instruments, and dance that will captivate you. Watch amazing performances of traditional and modern Chinese Dance by children, teens and adults from the Gina Ling Chinese Dance Chamber. Learn the art of calligraphy and chopsticks with the Xiamen Chinese Sister City. Plus, learn about animals with a live petting zoo from Wildlife Adventures, enjoy music and dance from Baltimore Polytechnic Institute Staff, and make festive art projects including Chinese New Year Lucky Charms, Festive Dragons, and more! Featuring a number of new art projects to enjoy while learning about Chinese cultures and traditions!
Disclosure: I received a free item, but it in no way influenced my opinion.